Skip to main content
Steven J. Karen

Las Vegas Auto Accident


Practicing Regularly in Las Vegas Justice Court, Las Vegas Municipal Court, Henderson Justice Court, Henderson Municipal Court, District Court, Federal Court and all Courts in Nevada.



WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT?  Should you call the police?  Do I have to report it?  Do I need to report the accident to my insurance company and the DMV?  

The short answer to all these questions is yes.

What If if don’t have insurance? The following general information is taken from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Website.  If you want more specific advice call me. I have been practicing personal injury law in this state for 23 years. I can help you. It’s a free consultation.  Attorney Steven Karen will speak to you personally today.

What do I do if I’m involved in an accident?
Call 9-1-1 and they will assess the need for assistance. If there are no injuries, people will be asked to take the following steps:

car plowed into a pole
paramedic helps a young woman who is bleeding from a car accident
  • Pull over out of traffic when it is safe to do so;
  • Take a picture, if it is safe to do so, to visually document the damage;
  • Exchange information with the other driver (SAMPLE drivers exchange information form);
  • Obtain all personal information from the other driver(s) involved, including name, address, phone number, driver’s license number and state of issuance;
  • Obtain insurance information from the other driver(s) including the name of the insurance company, policy number and expiration date of the policy;
  • Obtain the year, make, model and license plate number, including state of issuance of all vehicle(s) involved. Also obtain the name and address of the registered owner and the (VIN) Vehicle Identification Number;
    Obtain the name(s) and phone number(s) of passengers in the vehicle, along with the name(s) and phone number(s) of any witnesses to the crash;
  • Document everything on an SR-1 Form, found on​
  • If you have a smartphone, see if your insurance company has an app that you can use to help you gather accident information.
    Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.

What happens if one of the parties involved in the accident does not have insurance? Make sure you document that the other driver does not have insurance on the SR-1 form. If you have an uncooperative driver who will not exchange information, call the police.

Should I drive my car from the scene or have it towed? If the car is in working order, you may drive it yourself. If the car is disabled and blocking or impeding traffic, call police.

Doesn’t my insurance company need a police report to prove I was in an accident? No. A police report is not necessary to file a claim

injury example shown as evidence in a case

Traumatic Brain Injury caused by rear end auto accident. I have experience handling brain injury cases. Brain injury does not require a direct impact. It usually results from rotational forces (twisting) or sudden deceleration (whiplash). Diffuse axonal injury (DAI) is one of the most common types of brain injuries. DAI refers to widespread damage to the brain’s white matter. White matter is composed of bundles of axons (projections of nerve cells that carry electrical impulses). Like the wires in a computer, axons connect various areas of the brain to one another. DAI is the result of shearing forces, which stretch or tear these axon bundles. It can result in a disruption of neural circuits and a breakdown of overall communication among nerve cells, or neurons, in the brain. It also leads to the release of brain chemicals that can cause further damage. These injuries can cause temporary or permanent damage to the brain, and recovery can be prolonged..

drawing of woman with headache
image of disturbances and emotional moods
Contact Steven J. Karen. Call or click now! 702-382-9307